An appeal

Recourse Available to Victims 

It is very important that the victims of ragging communicate or share their problems with their peers, family, heads of institutions, NGO’s or other authorities who may help them in this regard. The evil of ragging is nurturing as many events go unreported. What we see is only a tip of the iceberg.

Communication and naming the perpetrators ensures that, if you choose to pursue legal action, there would be other witnesses to affirm your claim. It is also important that you communicate via emails and letters to your family naming the perpetrators and stating the tasks you are required to perform and the impact the same has upon you.

In any case, the victims can report the incidents to any of the following:

a)  College Authority:
The victim shall immediately report the incidence of ragging to the college authorities, viz. the Dean, Registrar, Proctor, to any faculty, who is a part of the anti-ragging committee, or member of anti ragging squad that may exist in college/university. If you don’t wish to be named i.e. want to maintain anonymity then you must make request for the same.

b)  University Grants Commission:

If you are not satisfied by the action taken by the college authorities or if the college fails to take any action at all or if you do not want to report the matter to college authorities for whatever reason, then you may contact the UGC directly, by calling on UGC’s toll free helpline 1800-180-5522 or you may email them at 

c)  Police:

You may report the incident of ragging by way of a FIR (first information report) with the nearest police  station, if you feel that a serious offence has been committed. For example, any simple or grievous injury to life or limb, sexual molestation, etc.

You could go with a complaint in writing and request the concerned officer to lodge an FIR on the basis of the same. He would register FIR u/s 154 of the Code of Criminal Procedure if he thinks, on the basis of your complaint, it is a case involving a cognizable offence. Otherwise, he will register your complaint under section 155 of the Code of Criminal Procedure if he thinks, on the basis of your complaint, that it is a case involving a non cognizable offence.

In case of non cognizable offence, where the police officer can not arrest without warrant, he would direct you to the magistrate. If the officer refuses to do the register FIR where cognizable offence is committed, you should contact the Station House officer (SHO) of the concerned police station. If he/she refuses to do the same, you could contact the area magistrate to take cognizance of your complaint.

d)  NGO (SAVE):

If you need any help with respect to above said options, or if you want us to exercise these options on your behalf, or if you seek any kind of legal/medical/psychological consultation then you may approach an anti ragging NGO like SAVE (Society Against Violence in Education)” by mailing us at mail[AT] or by calling us on the numbers provided in the “Contact us” section.

We at SAVE, work for people who have been victims or witnesses of ragging & try to make sure that their grievance is resolved in shortest possible time.

The above list of examples is not exhaustive.